What is an Emergency and Critical Care Specialist?
Emergency and critical care specialists are veterinarians that have completed advanced training in life-saving interventions and treatment of critically ill pets. Critical care specialists work closely with emergency doctors and other veterinary specialists to provide intensive care for pets.
Critical care specialists commonly treat the following conditions:
- Trauma, shock, burns
- Anemia requiring blood transfusions
- Liver failure, coagulopathies
- Diseases requiring specialized nutritional support and feeding tube placement
- Metabolic conditions (diabetic ketoacidosis, hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome)
- Abnormal heart rhythms and heart failure
- Refractory seizures
- Anesthetic or post-surgical complications